Accident Reporting Policy



Most incidents that happen in school or on school trips will not need to be reported but will need to be recorded. Only in limited circumstances will an incident need notifying to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) under Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).

Accidents/incidents which must be reported to the Health and Safety Executive
The RIDDOR regulations require employers to report to the enforcing authority (HSE) in writing whenever one of the following events arises if the accident involves one of the following, the HSE must be notified immediately by telephone or by accessing the HSE Incident Reporting Website.


1.1 Immediate action following an accident.
After injured persons have been treated as required, the area where the accident occurred must be made safe and any immediate danger removed (if safe to do so). If the accident is of a serious nature, the area involved may have to be cordoned off and access restricted until a full investigation has been carried out.


1.2 Reporting to Senior Leadership Team.
For every accident that occurs at the school an Accident Report Form (Appendix 1) must be completed. Blank copies of the School Accident/Incident Report Form are in located in Reception and also stored on the school network. Depending upon the nature of the accident/incident, a member of SLT may carry out a full investigation (Appendix 2).


1.3 Accidents/incidents which must be reported to the Health and Safety Executive
The RIDDOR regulations require employers to report to the enforcing authority (HSE) in writing whenever one of the following events arises if the accident involves one of the following, the HSE must be notified immediately by telephone or by accessing the HSE Incident Reporting Website.


1.4 The following occurrences must be reported as soon as is practicably possible.
• The death of any person as a result of an accident, whether or not they are an employee.
• Someone who is at work suffers a major injury as a result of an accident
• Someone who is not at work (e.g. a member of the public or student) suffers an injury as a result of an accident on SCHOOL Premises and is taken from the scene to a hospital.
• One of a list of specified dangerous occurrences takes place,

1.5 The following occurrences must be reported in writing within 15 days
• Someone at work is unable to do the full range of their normal duties for more than seven days as a result of an injury caused by an accident at work.
• The death of an employee if this occurs sometime after a reportable

1.6 Methods of Reporting to the HSE
All accidents/incidents/dangerous occurrences falling into the above categories must be reported to the HSE via their website within 10 days using the online form.
The most senior member of staff present within the School will contact the HSE information line, on 0845 3009923, or by accessing their information reporting website.
Please note that incidents reported by telephone must still be reported in writing within 10 days.
The local office of the HSE will be contacted by the HSE operator and a decision made whether or not to send an HSE inspector to investigate the accident. Where the accident does not involve any of the events listed above, there is no need to inform the HSE.


2. REPORTING REQUIREMENTS - What must be reported?
Work related accidents

For the purposes of RIDDOR, an accident is a separate, identifiable, unintended incident that causes physical injury. This specifically includes acts of non-consensual violence to people at work.

Not all accidents need to be reported, a RIDDOR report is required only when:
• The accident is work- related and:
• It results in an injury type which is reportable as listed.

When deciding if the accident that led to a death or injury is work related, the key issues to consider are whether the accident was related to:
• The way the work was organised, carried out or supervised
• Any machinery, plant substances or equipment used for work and
• The condition of the site or premises where the accident happened




In accordance with RIDDOR the Headteacher will report the following work-related accidents, including those caused by physical violence, if an employee is injured:
• Accidents which result in death or a specified injury will be reported without delay
• Accidents which prevent the injured person from continuing their normal work for more than seven days (not counting the day of the accident, but including weekends and other rest days) must be reported within 10 days of the accident

3.1 Deaths
All deaths to workers and non-workers must be reported if they arise from a work related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker.

3.2 Reportable specified injuries
• Fracture, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes;
• Amputation of an arm, hand, finger thumb, leg, foot or toe;
• Dislocation of the shoulder, hip, knee or spine;
• Permanent loss of sight or reduction of sight;
• Crush injuries leading to internal organ damage
• Serious burns (covering more than 10% of the body, or damaging eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs
• Scalpings (separation of skin from the head) which requires hospital treatment;
• Unconsciousness caused by head injury or aspyhyxia;
• Any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space, which leads to hypothermia, heat – induced illness or requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours.

3.3 Reportable occupational diseases
• Carpel tunnel syndrome
• Severe cramp of the hand or forearm
• Occupational dermatitis
• Hand-arm vibration syndrome
• Occupational asthma
• Tendonitis or tenosynovitis of the hand or forearm
• Any occupational cancer
• Any disease attributed to an occupational exposure to a biological agent

3.4 Reportable dangerous occurrences
There are specified near-miss events, which are only reportable if listed under RIDDOR.
Reportable dangerous occurrences in schools typically include:
• Collapse or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment;
• The accidental release of a biological agent likely to cause severe human illness
• The accidental release or escape of any substance that may cause a serious injury or damage to health
• An electrical short circuit or overload causing fire or explosion

3.5 Physical Violence
Some acts of non-consensual physical violence to a person at work, which result in death, a specified injury or a person being incapacitated for over seven days, are reportable. In the case of an over seven day injury, the incapacity must arise from a physical injury, not a psychological reaction to the act of violence.

3.6 Stress
Work-related stress and stress-related illnesses (including post-traumatic stress disorder are not reportable under RIDDOR. To be reportable, an injury must have resulted from an ‘accident’ arising out of or in connection with work. In relation to RIDDOR, an accident is a discrete, identifiable, unintended incident which causes physical injury. Stress related conditions usually result from a prolonged period of pressure, often from many factors, not just one distinct event.


Injuries to students who are involved in an accident at school or on an activity organised by the school are only reportable under RIDDOR if the accident results in:
• the death of the person, and arose out of or in connection with a work activity; or
• an injury that arose out of or in connection with a work activity and the person is taking directly from the scene of the accident for treatment (examinations and diagnostic tests do not constitute treatment).

The list of Reportable Specified Injuries and Diseases only apply to employees. If a student injured in an incident remains at school, is taken home or is simply absent from school for a number of days, the incident is not reportable.


4.1 How to decide whether an accident to student ‘arises out of or is in connection with work’
The Headteacher will consider whether the incident was caused by:
• a failure in the way the work activity was organised (eg inadequate supervision of a Geography field trip)
• the way equipment or substances were used (eg lifts, machinery, experiments etc); and
• the condition of the premises (eg poorly maintained or slippery floors).

i) If a student is taken to hospital after breaking an arm during an ICT class, following a fall over a trailing cable, the incident would be reportable.
ii) If a student is taken to hospital because of a medical condition (eg asthma attack or epileptic seizure) this would not be reportable as it did not result from the work activity.

This means that many of the common incidents that cause injuries to students at school tend not to be reportable under RIDDOR, as they do not arise directly from the way the school undertakes a work activity.

4.2 Accidents to students during sports activities
Not all sports injuries to students are reportable under RIDDOR, as organised sports activities can lead to sports injuries that are not connected with how schools manage the risks from the activity. If an accident that results in an injury arises because of the normal rough and tumble of a game, the accident and resulting injury would not be reportable.

i) The condition of the premises or equipment was poor eg badly maintained or
ii) The school had not provided adequate supervision, eg where particular risks were identified, but no action was taken to provide suitable supervision.

4.3 Physical violence
Violence between students is a school discipline matter and not reportable under RIDDOR as it does not arise out of or in connection with a work activity.

4.4 Other scenarios
• If another vehicle strikes the school bus while students are getting on or off and students are injured and taken to hospital, this is normally reportable under RIDDOR.

• Overseas trips – RIDDOR only applies to activities which take place in Great Britain. Any incident overseas is not reportable to HSE.

• Work experience – if students are on a training scheme or work placement, they are deemed to be employees for the period of the placement. In these circumstances the headteacher, should report a death, injury or disease to a student which arises out of or in connection with work. This means that the wider range of reporting categories for employees is applicable.

5. RECORDING REQUIREMENTS – What must be recorded?

5.1 A record must be kept of:
• any accident, occupational disease or dangerous occurrence which requires reporting under RIDDOR
• any other occupational accident causing injuries that result in a worker being away from work or incapacitated for more than three consecutive days not counting the day of the accident but including any weekends or other rest days). NB over three day injuries do not have to be reported unless the incapacitation period goes on to exceed seven days.




The Headteacher will ensure that a suitable investigation is carried out and recorded on the Accident/Incident Investigation Report Form (Appendix 2). The investigation should be carried out within 7 working days of the accident/incident. Any remedial action necessary should be implemented as appropriate. The Accident/Incident Investigation Report will be held on file for a minimum period of five years.


Certain cases of diseases (see 3.3), which are linked to specified work activities, must be reported to the enforcing authority. Whenever an employee reports that they have been diagnosed as suffering from one of the diseases, they will be asked to seek written confirmation from their GP (a GPs statement on a medical certificate will suffice).
On receipt of such confirmation, an Accident Report will be completed within 3 days of receiving confirmation and reported to the HSE using their online form.


The definition of an accident used in RIDDOR includes an act of non-consensual physical violence done to a person at work. This makes injuries to employees arising from such acts reportable if they fall into one of the following categories:
a) The death of any person as a result of an accident involving non-consensual violence, whether or not they are an employee.
b) Someone who is at work suffers a major injury as a result of an accident involving non-consensual violence.
Accidents arising from such actions of non-consensual physical violence are immediately notifiable to the HSE. The term non-consensual is used to exclude injuries arising from situations where the injured person had agreed to the violent act, for example during a sporting event where a degree of risk is accepted.
Only physical injuries resulting from acts of violence suffered by people at work are included in the definition of accident. For example, an act of violence done to a member of the public by an employee or another member of the public would not be regarded as an accident and any resulting injury would not need to be reported to the HSE. However, such incidents should result in reporting internally using the Accident Record (Appendix 1)

 Accident Record
Accident Investigation Report



FAQs Student Injuries

Do I need to report?
Students are not at work and therefore are regarded as members of the public (MOPs) for the purpose of accident reporting. The exception is where a student / pupil, including children, are on a recognised training scheme or work experience. Under health and safety law they are regarded as employees. In these circumstances the employer or person in control of the work premises where the pupil or student was doing the training should report the injury as if they were one of their employees.


Are accidents to pupils sustained in PE lessons reportable under RIDDOR?
Yes, but only if the pupil is killed or taken to hospital for treatment of the injury and the accident arose out of or was connected to the school’s work. For example, the accident arose because of poor organisation or supervision arrangements, the equipment or the condition of the premises, e.g. a potholed playing surface.


Are sporting injuries reportable?
No, if the injury arose out of the normal participation of the activity. Injuries should be reported if they were due to defective equipment or failings in the organisation and management of an event.


What if the pupil is taken to hospital as a precaution but the examination shows no injury?
No. RIDDOR only requires injuries to be reported, if the medical advice is that the pupil was not injured in any way then there is no need to report this.


Do I need to know what treatment was given by the hospital before I report an injury to a pupil?
There is no requirement to check that treatment is actually administered by the hospital. If the school is later told that the hospital could find no injury, not even a minor cut or abrasion, then you do not have to make a report as the law only requires you report injuries in these circumstances.

Go to top