This course is designed to provide students with an understanding of the six essential areas of mathematics. Students will study number, algebra, ratio and proportion, geometry and measures, statistics and probability. The course provides students with an essential qualification, valued by all employers and further education establishments.
This GCSE enables learners to:
• Develop fluent knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematical methods and concepts
• Acquire, select and apply mathematical techniques to solve problems
• Reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences and draw conclusions
• Comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context
• Students take either the higher or the foundation tier course.
• Students can achieve grades 5-1 on the foundation tier. They are assessed via 3 x 1hour 30 minute written papers.
• Students can achieve grades 9-4 on the higher tier. They are assessed via 3 x 1hour 30 minute written papers.
• A calculator is permitted for the first and third paper.